RICHARD BIRD

...putting people before party

Incinerator News

  • 2014
    • Council is told to ‘buy King’s Lynn incinerator site so it can’t be built’ 29-04-2014

      Read More...

    • King’s Lynn incinerator win fuels fight against similar Canadian plan 15-04-2014

      Read More...

    • Norfolk incinerator inquiry sparks criticism from both sides 15-04-2014

      Read More...

    • Incinerator defeated 14-04-2014

      Read More...

    • Government department says it is still looking at King’s Lynn incinerator plan 08-04-2014

      Read More...

    • Norfolk County Council ends King’s Lynn incinerator contract 07-04-2014

      Read More...

    • Campaigners hail community power as the King’s Lynn incinerator is scrapped 07-04-2014

      Read More...

    • End it now: MPs urge councillors to kill off King’s Lynn incinerator at extraordinary meeting 29-03-2014

      Read More...

    • Date set for new council vote on King’s Lynn incinerator 21-03-2014

      Read More...

    • Minister accused of ‘wholly unreasonable’ delay on King’s Lynn incinerator decision 10-03-2014

      Read More...

    • Norfolk County councillor quits Labour group in protest at incinerator proposals 27-02-2014

      Read More...

    • CROSS-PARTY GROUP TO CALL ANOTHER COUNTY COUNCIL EGM TO TERMINATE THE WILLOWS INCINERATOR CONTRACT 13-02-2014

      Read More...

    • ‘We must scrap the King’s Lynn incinerator’, say councillors 13-02-2014

      Read More...

    • Government delays planning decision on King’s Lynn incinerator 13-01-2014

      Read More...

  • 2013
    • Candles burn to stop Incinerator 31-12-2013

      Read More...

    • Government calls for new comments on King’s Lynn incinerator scheme 06-12-2013

      Read More...

    • INCINERATOR - ‘Work’ on burner site not worth digging into 14-08-2013

      Read More...

    • Council puts incinerator decision on back burner 18-06-2013

      Read More...

    • INCINERATOR - Axe the burner now, Tory councillor demands 16-06-2013

      Read More...

  • 2012
    • KING’S LYNN INCINERATOR: MP to raise issue of public purse paying for Cory’s legal bill 12-12-2012

      Read More...

    • Calendar to help King’s Lynn incinerator battle 07-12-2012

      Read More...

    • KING’S LYNN INCINERATOR: Opening scenes of pre-inquiry 29-11-2012

      Read More...

  • 2011
  • 2010
  • 2009
  • 2008
Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to Twitter

INCINERATOR - ‘Work’ on burner site not worth digging into

14th August 2013 - the following article is reproduced by kind permission of Lynn News

The two sides of the bitter battle over the Lynn incinerator project have not agreed on a great deal relating to the controversial scheme, at least until now.

For when a team of workmen were spotted on the Saddlebow site with a digger on Friday morning, one might have been forgiven for wondering whether if there had been a dramatic new twist to the long-running saga.

But, both developers and campaigners were united in playing down the significance of the workers’ presence, as the wait for a series of reports on the proposal goes on.

Paul Green, a spokesman for the Cory Wheelabrator consortium that hopes to build the plant, said: “Four days of routine ground investigation works are being carried out on the north site of the proposed Willows Power and Recycling Centre.

“This is a continuation of previous investigation work that was undertaken in winter 2012. “

Meanwhile, Mike Knights, vice-chairman of the King’s Lynn Without Incineration campaign group (KLWIN) that has led public opposition to the project, also did not see the arrival as a major development.

He said: “It doesn’t surprise me. They obviously think it’s going to go ahead. They have to work on that principle. I don’t think it’s particularly significant.”

It’s now almost two months since Norfolk County Council ordered a set of independent legal and financial reviews of the agreement between itself and Cory Wheelabrator amid officials’ claims that breaking the contract could leave taxpayers with a bill of up to £90 million.

And it is nearly three months since the public inquiry called to consider whether the scheme should finally be given planning permission ended.

But, with a planning decision not expected until early next year, and no timescale for the council-ordered reviews, it may be that the sight of the workers and the digger on site might be the most to happen there for a long time yet.

However, campaigners are continuing to raise funds for what could still be a long fight.

EU e-Privacy Directive

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

You have declined cookies. This decision can be reversed.

You have allowed cookies to be placed on your computer. This decision can be reversed.