RICHARD BIRD

...putting people before party

Incinerator News

  • 2014
    • Council is told to ‘buy King’s Lynn incinerator site so it can’t be built’ 29-04-2014

      Read More...

    • King’s Lynn incinerator win fuels fight against similar Canadian plan 15-04-2014

      Read More...

    • Norfolk incinerator inquiry sparks criticism from both sides 15-04-2014

      Read More...

    • Incinerator defeated 14-04-2014

      Read More...

    • Government department says it is still looking at King’s Lynn incinerator plan 08-04-2014

      Read More...

    • Norfolk County Council ends King’s Lynn incinerator contract 07-04-2014

      Read More...

    • Campaigners hail community power as the King’s Lynn incinerator is scrapped 07-04-2014

      Read More...

    • End it now: MPs urge councillors to kill off King’s Lynn incinerator at extraordinary meeting 29-03-2014

      Read More...

    • Date set for new council vote on King’s Lynn incinerator 21-03-2014

      Read More...

    • Minister accused of ‘wholly unreasonable’ delay on King’s Lynn incinerator decision 10-03-2014

      Read More...

    • Norfolk County councillor quits Labour group in protest at incinerator proposals 27-02-2014

      Read More...

    • CROSS-PARTY GROUP TO CALL ANOTHER COUNTY COUNCIL EGM TO TERMINATE THE WILLOWS INCINERATOR CONTRACT 13-02-2014

      Read More...

    • ‘We must scrap the King’s Lynn incinerator’, say councillors 13-02-2014

      Read More...

    • Government delays planning decision on King’s Lynn incinerator 13-01-2014

      Read More...

  • 2013
    • Candles burn to stop Incinerator 31-12-2013

      Read More...

    • Government calls for new comments on King’s Lynn incinerator scheme 06-12-2013

      Read More...

    • INCINERATOR - ‘Work’ on burner site not worth digging into 14-08-2013

      Read More...

    • Council puts incinerator decision on back burner 18-06-2013

      Read More...

    • INCINERATOR - Axe the burner now, Tory councillor demands 16-06-2013

      Read More...

  • 2012
    • KING’S LYNN INCINERATOR: MP to raise issue of public purse paying for Cory’s legal bill 12-12-2012

      Read More...

    • Calendar to help King’s Lynn incinerator battle 07-12-2012

      Read More...

    • KING’S LYNN INCINERATOR: Opening scenes of pre-inquiry 29-11-2012

      Read More...

  • 2011
  • 2010
  • 2009
  • 2008
Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to Twitter

Government delays planning decision on King’s Lynn incinerator

13th January 2014 - the following article is reproduced by kind permission of Lynn News

The fate of the controversial Lynn incinerator remains in the balance tonight, Monday January 13, after the Government admitted it could not yet decide whether to allow the scheme to go ahead.

County council chiefs have warned any delay to the decision on the Saddlebow scheme will leave them facing immediate difficulties in setting budgets for the coming year.

But opponents claim the plan is now untenable and the authority should focus on alternative solutions.

And news of the delay was confirmed on the same day that the company behind a rival waste scheme, which is backed by West Norfolk Council, announced it had secured £100 million of funding for a plant in the borough.

Officials say their scheme will create 200 jobs and work could start this summer, if planning permission is granted.

A decision on whether the incinerator should be given planning permission had been expected from the Department for Communities and Local Government by tomorrow.

But a spokesman told the Lynn News that the application was still being considered, adding: “As soon as a decision is made, it will be published.”

No official timescale has been put on when the ruling might now be made, though it is thought the process could last for several more months.

And Norfolk County Council says the lack of a decision will give them major problems in setting their budget for the coming year over the next few weeks.

In a letter released today, leader George Nobbs told communities secretary Eric Pickles that the authority faces a bill of between £26 million and £31 million in compensation if planning consent is not granted.

He added: “A delay means that all options for covering that risk in the coming budget will have to come back onto the table. This is hugely difficult for the council and our residents. I really hope you will feel in a position to make your decision soon.”

Meanwhile, a spokesman for Cory Wheelabrator, the consortium that hopes to build and operate the plant, described the delay as “disappointing” and urged ministers to make a decision soon.

But Michael de Whalley, of the King’s Lynn Without Incineration (KLWIN) campaign group said the scheme was now “lethally bogged down.”

He added: “Now is the time for officers and Cabinet members at County Hall to come out and start working with the community towards other more responsible and socially acceptable solutions. We must get on and solve our waste problem now.”

North West Norfolk MP Henry Bellingham said he felt the delay showed the strength of the case which was made against the plant during the public inquiry held in Lynn last year.

He said he would be using the delay to make the case for using alternative plants in Suffolk and Holland as short-term measures until a long-term solution to dealing with the county’s waste was found.

He has also called on environment secretary Owen Paterson to review the Environment Agency’s decision to grant an operating permit for the plant.

EU e-Privacy Directive

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

You have declined cookies. This decision can be reversed.

You have allowed cookies to be placed on your computer. This decision can be reversed.